AIChE’s K-12 Committee is recruiting volunteers for the planning and presentation of the 2020 Virtual AIChE K-12 STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) Showcase — to be held in connection with the November 2020 AIChE Annual Meeting. Visit the following link to read about last year’s inaugural STEM Showcase
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, and to expand the reach of the event, the 2020 K–12 STEM Showcase will be held online. It will consist of a slate of pre-recorded STEM education demonstrations — submitted by the AIChE community – that showcase engineering- and STEM-related principles, aimed at pre-college students. The Showcase will also incorporate live mentoring activities and other opportunities for online engagement between K-12 students, parents, teachers, and chemical engineers.
Expectations — Roles
Volunteer activities leading up to and during the event will vary, and may include:
- reviewing proposals and recorded demonstrations submitted by the community for the STEM Module Competition
- collaborating with K-12 committee members and AIChE staff to develop ideas for engaging online Showcase activities to supplement the recorded demonstrations
- assisting with outreach to and registration of participants (competition entrants, student attendees, event moderators, and mentors)
- online moderation assistance and participation during the Showcase event
- judging of entries submitted in the Module Competition
- general assistance with projects to be determined.
This opportunity is for AIChE members. No past AIChE volunteer experience is necessary. However, past experience with K-12 outreach (e.g., classroom demonstrations, science fair participation, etc.) is a plus, as is flexibility and a willingness to collaborate.
Est.: 2 to 4 hours in August. Beginning in September and closer to the November event, a more substantial (8 to 10 hours per month) time commitment may be required for some roles. Volunteers may also receive assignments to play roles during the online event (date to be announced). Also, please note that while attendance at the Showcase event is not required, it is highly encouraged and preferred. Volunteers will also take part in monthly conference calls arranged by the K-12 Committee.