Discussion Central

Expand all | Collapse all

Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

  • 1.  Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 26 days ago
    How do get certified as a Professional Engineer (PE) in India and US?
    Is there an international standard for PE certification or depends on the country standards?

    Mohan Raj Sadatcharam
    Senior Manager - Process


  • 2.  RE: Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 25 days ago
    Hello Mohan,

    I don't believe there is a universal standard of Professional Engineer or Chartered Engineer. These are certifications which are relative to countries and engineering councils.
    In the UK for instance, you would need to enquire for recognition through an engineering association. For chemical/Process Engineers the Energy Institute, the Institute of Chemical Engineers , the Society of Operations engineers will require you to be a  member or associate member and within your organisation have a mentor who should be able to help you prepare towards Charteredship, you need to demonstrate creative thinking. In the USA, I believe you need to pass your professional engineering exam.
    In some countries like France I think one you have gone through your 5 year engineering program in school, you are a distinguished engineer. In principle, you won't need in this case.

    Perhaps there is someone in the team who can shed more light?

    Hope this helps you all the same?

    Veronique Kayem SeniorEng
    Director/Senior Process Engineer
    Verata Solutions LTD

  • 3.  RE: Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 25 days ago



    Licensing of engineers in India is managed by the Institution of Engineers (ieindia.org). You can get information about chartered engineer, professional engineer, and even international professional engineer certification. The Int PE certification may help ease your process of getting PE certification in other countries. I do not believe that you will get comity registration in US though, but I do not know for certain.


    Vivek P. Utgikar, Ph.D., P.E.

    Professor, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering

    Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Education, College of Engineering

    University of Idaho

    875 Perimeter Drive, MS 1021

    Moscow ID 83844-1021


    Phone: (208) 885-6970; Fax: (208) 885-7462

    Homepage: http://webpages.uidaho.edu/vutgikar/


  • 4.  RE: Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 25 days ago
    Licensing in the USA is done at the state level, so it's not even a sure thing that one state will grant you a license based on your being licensed in another state.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no international standard.

    In the USA, NSPE has recommended that states apply the following criteria for applicants to obtain "Model Law Engineer" status:
    1. They must have graduated from an engineering program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET Inc.
    2. They must have passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exams.
    3. They must have completed four years of acceptable engineering experience after confirmation of a bachelor's of science degree in an engineering program.
    4. Their license must be clear of any disciplinary action.
    You can find more information about licensing by comity here:

    Stephen Thiel PE
    Professor - Educator
    University of Cincinnati
    Montgomery OH

  • 5.  RE: Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 24 days ago
    Hello Mohan,
    There is a reciprocal arrangement between UK qualified chartered engineers & Idaho licensing board. To have your CEng title recognized, you need to have
    1. 8 years experience, post CEng registration
    2. Confirmation of good standing & clean disciplinary record
    3. Undergone all stages of standard CEng assessment  procedure


    Engineering competence is quite a complicated subject matter for a universal international standard. However there s a broad consensus of what forms the generic competencies of professional engineering.

    You may refer to the following international agreements.

    I am currently practicing as an independent industry consultant based in Germany. In the whole of EU & esp. in Germany, engineering title is regulated & protected.

    I use both my Eur Ing (FEANI) title & my professional CEng (UK) qualification to demonstrate my competencies in my professional areas. Beyond the professional title, it's the compulsory CPD training that really matters. In complex commercial and technical decisions & independent judgments, decisions can be challenged. The professional CPD training validated by the licensing bodies which in my case is the IChemE (UK) matters significantly. In all most all professional decisions, professional insurance becomes obligatory.

    Such professional engineering regulations is not mandatory in employment as the employer handles the legal-technical-commercial risks, although titles are desirable for employers to minimize professional risks.

    Hope the info is helpful

    Eur Ing (FEANI) Santanu Talukdar CEng (UK) CSci (UK) MIChemE SMAIChE
    Chartered Chemical Engineer
    Independent industry consultant-
    Innovations Mgmt & Technology Transfers

  • 6.  RE: Professional engineer certification for Chemical Engineers

    Posted 23 days ago
    An information on this and path forward is eagerly desired.

    Ashish Bhattacharya
    Sr, Project Manager
    SNC-Lavalin Engineering India